This is my first time participating in the #MakeoverMonday, a weekly social data project that challenges designers across the world to redesign a visualization. The community has produced really amazing makeovers and has become quite popular among data-viziers to the point where it caught my attention.

This week’s topic is a 2017 study titled “Differences in Orgasm Frequency Among Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, and Heterosexual Men and Women in a U.S. National Sample”, here is the original visualization by @annavitals:



What works well?

  • – The color palette is well chosen, gives a very mature but friendly aspect to the composition, it has good contrast and is used to differentiate important parts of the information

  • – The total numbers in the left are visible at first glance and help the user to draw conclusions from the visualization

  • – The information is sorted

  • – The composition is clean, simple and easy to read

  • – The use of icons makes it more interesting and appealing for the user


What doesn’t work?

  • – The use of icons as a representation of a bar chart makes the visualization confusing, it is difficult to compare one with the other

  • – Representing sexual orientation with icons is a good intention but the result is confusing and difficult to read

  • – The labels are not visible enough

  • – There is no context about the study and no immediate conclusions are presented to the user

  • – A lot of interesting information of the study was discarded

  • – It could make use of a more appealing title


I decided to go back to the original study and look for a wider scope, approaching the information from the general to the specifics: First comparing genders, and then sexual orientations in terms of orgasm frequency, stopping in each section to draw quick conclusions for the user. As an ending I added some of the tips that could drive action in terms of sexual health: